ADA Compliant Metal Ramps
Before an American with Disabilities Act (ADA) metal ramp is installed, the following codes must be met.
- Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 shall be considered a ramp.
- The maximum slope in new construction shall be 1:12 and the maximum riser shall be 30 inches.
- The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36 inches.
- Ramps shall have level landings at the bottom and top of each run.
- If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6 inches or a horizontal projection greater than 72 inches, then it shall have handrails on both sides.
- The cross slope of ramp surfaces shall be no greater than 1:50.
- Ground and floor surfaces along accessible routes and in accessible rooms and spaces including floors, walkways, ramps, stairs, and curb ramps shall be stable, firm, and slip resistant.
- Ramps and landings with drop-off shall have curbs, walls, railings, or projection surfaces that prevent people from slipping off the ramp. Curbs shall be a minimum of 2 inches high.
- Outdoor ramps and their approaches shall be designed so that water will not accumulate on walking surfaces.
SlipNOT® provides slip resistant ADA compliant products that can be retrofitted over existing metal ramps to create a high traction surface or can be newly constructed. ADA compliant products offered bySlipNOT® consist of solid plate, high heel safe grating, or ¼” diameter perforated plate.
All SlipNOT® alloys (steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel, and aluminum) have been extensively tested, evaluated and approved by agencies, municipalities, and companies throughout the country. SlipNOT® products are also certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and are evaluated at over double the UL’s requirement for slip resistant materials. ADA mandates a 0.80 coefficient of friction (COF) for inclined surfaces and SlipNOT® products exceed OSHA and ADA requirements with a minimum of 0.85 COF. SlipNOT® has a file hard surface between 55-63 on the Rockwell “C” scale and a bond strength of at least 4,000 psi.
Guidelines for Coefficient of Friction
|ADA Flat Surfaces
|ADA Incline Surfaces
Bare metal ramps can lead to slips, trips and falls if they become wet. Choosing SlipNOT® as a slip resistant solution for ADA compliant ramps may dramatically reduce accidents. SlipNOT® interior and exterior metal ramps are used in many applications such as entryway wheelchair ramps, forklift ramps, floor scale ramps, and freezer ramps. SlipNOT® is a durable and long lasting surface compared to painted-on or taped-on products.